By Stuart C Aitken,Gill Valentine
"The booklet covers a few of the (traditionally) such a lot obtuse and difficult-to-grasp philosophical principles that experience motivated geographers/geography. the truth that those are offered in an inclusive and obtainable demeanour is a key power. Many scholars have commented that the chapters they've got learn have inspired them to learn extra during this box, that's tremendous from a lecturer's perspective."
- Richard White, Sheffield Hallam University
A re-creation of the vintage ways textual content for college kids, organised in 3 sections, which overviews and explains the background and philosophy of Human Geographies in all its functions by way of those that guidance it:
- Section One – Philosophies: Positivist Geography / Humanism / Feminist Geographies / Marxisms / Structuration concept / Human Animal / Realism / Postmodern Geographies/ Poststructuralist Theories / Actor-Network thought, / Postcolonialism / Geohumanities / applied sciences
- Section – People: associations and Cultures / locations and Contexts / thoughts and wishes / figuring out position / own and Political / changing into a Geographer / stream and come across / areas and Flows / areas as strategies
- Section 3 – Practices: Mapping and Geovisualization / Quantification, proof, and Positivism / Geographic info platforms / Humanism / Activism / Feminist Geographies / Poststructuralist Theories / Psychoanalysis / Environmental Inquiry / Contested Geographies and tradition Wars
Fully up-to-date all through and with 8 fresh chapters - this is often the middle textual content for modules on background, concept, and perform in Human Geography.
Read Online or Download Approaches to Human Geography: Philosophies, Theories, People and Practices PDF
Best human geography books
Traditional scholarship at the Mediterranean portrays the internal Sea as a undying entity with unchanging ecological and agrarian positive aspects. yet, Faruk Tabak argues, a number of the "traditional" and "olden" features that we characteristic to it at the present time are literally items of really fresh advancements.
Conventional narratives of the interval major as much as the Civil warfare are continually framed in geographical phrases. The sectional descriptors of the North, South, and West, just like the wartime different types of Union, Confederacy, and border states, suggest little irrespective of a map of the us. In Abolitionist Geographies, Martha Schoolman contends that antislavery writers constantly refused these commonplace phrases.
Till this booklet was once initially released in 1996 there have been little distinctive examine in regards to the geographic situation of the negative in the US. The booklet examines the spatial distribution of the bad in the US and discusses the final features of the poverty inhabitants. It explores the complicated internet of conception bearing on poverty, providing assorted different types: no fault theories, person accountability theories, societal accountability theories, governemntal and institutional accountability theories, and accountability of the commercial process theories.
International rubbish examines the ways that rubbish, in its various kinds, is being produced, controlled, skilled, imagined, circulated, hid, and aestheticized in modern city environments and throughout diverse inventive and cultural practices. The e-book explores the more and more complicated dating among globalization and rubbish in destinations similar to Beirut, Detroit, Hong Kong, London, la, Manchester, Naples, Paris, Rio de Janeiro and Tehran.
- This Sacred Earth: Religion, Nature, Environment
- The Constitution of the City: Economy, Society, and Urbanization in the Capitalist Era
- Essentials of Petroleum: A Key to Oil Economics
- Malta, Mediterranean Bridge
Additional info for Approaches to Human Geography: Philosophies, Theories, People and Practices
Approaches to Human Geography: Philosophies, Theories, People and Practices by Stuart C Aitken,Gill Valentine